Ethically sourced yarn

Home Forums Main Forums Ethically sourced yarn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    zsazsazsazsa
    Participant
    4 pts

Hello Everyone
    I was wondering if anyone here has sourced cruelty free yarns for machine knitting yet – any suggestions?
    I am interested in vegan options – but please also mention animal fibers as long as they’re cruelty free. I am unsure whether or not to use them since I am very conscious of all the issues there are.
    Would be happy to read about your opinions on this topic too.
    What about plastics?
    (I care about this since years and am aware that there I no right and wrong since each way has its pros and cons..)

Thank you 🙂

Triambak Saxena
    #2786 Score: 0
    Triambak SaxenaTriambak Saxena
    Keymaster
    72 pts

We’ve been in touch with Kate from We Are Crop

She’ll have good intel!

#2790 Score: 2
    Lydia
    Participant
    31 pts

I’ve read once an article about making bamboo yarn. The productions seems to be not that sustainable as people say. Like the production of electrical cars; the end product is sustainable but not the production itself. In that case production seems to be cruel to people.
    Same with soya. When they cut down jungles to make soya plantations it’s very, very cruel to the animals of which a lot will die and they use a lot of pesticides for soya which is cruel to people. According to me those yarns are not cruelty free and not sustainable. You need to look at the used dye as well. Difficult conversation as you already know, because what’s the definition of cruel….. 🙂
    I’ve never seen plastic yarns (from recycled plastics) and besides that I will never use it because it will again increase the plastic soup in the oceans. Every time you wash a garment made from artificial fibres particles will flush trough the drain which they can’t/don’t filter during the water purification…..

All animal yarns, without mulesing and where the wool is shaved, picked or combed without hurting the animals should be cruelty free. Again the dying process is important too.
    Think about camel, yak, alpaka and all kinds of sheep wool, like merino. Problem will always be if what a company tells you about the production is true or not. I think mulesing is only used in Australia.
    As long the yarn is twisted for knitting you can wind it on cones with an electrical woolwinder but not all the yarns are suitable for knitting machines. Easier is buying it on cones. By the way; my experience is that even yarns sold as machine knitting yarns sometimes not knit on a knitting machine. This has to do with the dye used. Saying this, you always have to knit gauge swatches with every color if sizes do matter. Same yarn, different color can give a totally different result.

By the way, for more than 30 years I don’t eat animal products but I use wool for knitting.

Valio
    #2793 Score: 2
    Lydia
    Participant
    31 pts

Just discovered this one from Germany. Maybe that’s what you are looking for. You could ask them to deliver on cones.
    https://www.rauwerk-wolle.de/
    Another one which delivers alpaka on cones suitable for knitting machines;
    http://fairalpaka.de/

ValioLeBrie Rich
    #2876 Score: 2
    CarlaCarla
    Participant
    3 pts

Hi Zsazsa,

Check out Oeko-Tex (https://www.oeko-tex.com/en/consumer/what_is_ots100/what_is_ots100.html) and GOTS (https://www.global-standard.org/). These are two independent companies who diligently seek out better materials, being made ethically, organically, and sustainably.

My current strategy is working with unravelled sweaters. It’s more time consuming then just getting new yarn, and I cannot be 100% sure what went into them, but it eliminates all the waste from the initial stage of yarn making (since it’s already made).

Good luck!
    -Carla

Triambak SaxenaLeBrie Rich
    #3511 Score: 0
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    2 pts

Bonjour,

Personnellement, j’utilise exclusivement des fibres en matières naturelles comme le lin et le duvet de yak. Ce sont mes deux matières préférées.
    Pour ce qui concerne la souffrance animale, le duvet de yak est une réponse évidente, car, pour obtenir le duvet, les animaux, ne sont pas manipulés avec brutalités, bien au contraire ! Les éleveurs peignent le pelage de l’animal au printemps lorsqu’il perds naturellement ses poils. Le pansage, lui fait du bien et crée même une relation avec son éleveur. Les cavaliers sauront de quoi je parle, …
    Je me fournie au prés d’une filature Française qui travaille directement avec une coopérative d’éleveurs Mongoles.
    Quant au lin, il est cultivé dans le Nord de la France et en Belgique, ce qui reste local afin d’éviter au maximum les transports inutiles.

Bonne fin de semaine. 😉

#3512 Score: 1
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    2 pts

Très belles créations en effet, … Bravo We Are Crop

Triambak Saxena
    #13988 Score: 1
    Maartje
    Participant
    6 pts

Dear all,

When you are looking for sustainable and cruelty free yarns, I would like to suggest STRIKKS biowool/alpaca blend. It’s a Nm3/18 yarn, very suitable for the Kniterate.
    It’s made of 70% wool and 30% alpaca.
    Mulesing free
    Sheep from organic farms
    ICEA certified
    GOTS certified
    Made in Italy

We sell on small cones of 330 grams.

All the best!
    Maartje

Here you find more information:
    https://www.shop-strikks.nl/webshop/breigarens/detail/3/breigaren-bio-wool.html

Triambak Saxena
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.