Hexagonal Mesh

Home Forums Main Forums Hexagonal Mesh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Muirén
    Participant

Can an Kniterate Machine be configured to use Spectra, Dyneema brand names of UHMWPE (Ultra-High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) Yarn for weaving a hexagonal mesh net for fabricating a bodysuit? The suit will support a network of sensors.

#14299 Score: 0
    alexd
    Participant
    3 pts

Hi Muiren
    Sorry, a general answer rather than a Kniterate specific answer.
    Almost any yarn that can be braided or woven can be knitted provided you match the tex to the machine gauge and needle hook size.
    Yarns that can not stretch are more difficult to knit than yarns that can stretch easily.
    With spectra, the needles are going to do the bending as spectra does not stretch, this will cause all sorts of issues if you try to run too fast.
    Reducing the yarn drag will also be important to reduce the stress on the needles, a positive yarn feed or a storage feeder will be helpful.
    What exactly is the pattern of the hexagonal mesh you plan to knit?
    Are you looking for someone or a machine that can knit it?

#14300 Score: 0
    Muirén
    Participant

I am well acquainted with hand and machine weaving as well as the material science of UHMWPE. There are dozens of custom net making companies, Barry USA Inc for example. Being a traditional manufacturer, they are constrained by the need to work within economies of scale. The fact I am here and asking a technical question about Kniterate which is a specific team and machine, which makes your post a really odd waste of your time and mine.

#14301 Score: -1
    alexd
    Participant
    3 pts

I am sorry you feel that way, perhaps someone else can give you the technical answer you seek.
    I had thought your question would lead to an interesting discussion about warp and weft knitting, but it seems I may have been mistaken?

#14302 Score: 0
    Muirén
    Participant

What are you talking about?
    There is no mention of my “feeling” anything or are you one of those people who cannot tell the difference between when someone states a fact and when they express how they feel?

I asked a reasonable professional question and you inserted yourself into my post with a nonsense response and now this weird suggestion that you wanted to discuss warp and weft. Not a single word you posted suggested you were trying to have a discussion and it would not make any sense if you did because that is not what my post was about.

I am done with whatever you think you are doing here.

#14303 Score: 0
    Gerard RubioGerard Rubio
    Keymaster
    73 pts

Hi Muirén,

We haven’t tried yet UHMWPE yarn so unfortunately, we can’t give you an answer at the moment. Would you be able to send us some to our office in the Netherlands? or, if you know of a supplier nearby that has such yarn please let us know. We’d love to give it a try, it sounds like a very interesting material!

Do you have a picture you could share of the hexagonal mesh?

Thanks,
    gerard

#14327 Score: 0
    Muirén
    Participant

I don’t know what is going on but my response does not display and I get the message I am duplicating the post not visible.
    Perhaps your board limits how many links a new member can include in their posts.
    I’ve created a page with my original response

Hexagonal Tulle and Bobbinet UHMWPE Mesh Weaving

#14333 Score: 0
    JipkeJipke

Hi Murién,

I’m not sure if I’m understanding you correctly.

You want to knit a structure that is usually woven (tule), and your question is 1) would our machine be able to do that and 2) could you use a fibre like UHMWPE for this. Is that correct?

The machine wouldn’t be able to produce a tule as fine and light weighted as you would buy it in the store. The knitted structure would be less stiff than the weave, although I can imagine using UHMWPE might make it quite stiff. The mesh you could knit with our machine would be more like netting (not the fine kind like in tights).

As Gerard said we haven’t tried UHMWPE on our machine yet, and we’re going to try and source some locally to test it! I know of someone who once broke all their needles in one go by using Dyneema, so if you’re ever working with it I would recommend being very careful!

Thanks!
    Jipke

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.