Purling

Home Forums Main Forums Purling

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by mark mark 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

megfault
    Participant
    1 pt

I never machine knitted, and read that other knitting machines usually need an accessory (e.g. a ribber) to make purl stitches, or operators stop the machine and reverse each stitch they want as a purl by hand.

Now, most of my knitting works have patterns that combine knitting and purl stitches in the same row. Is the kniterate machine able to also do these? I am trying to understand the K-code instructions and I still have to catch up on machine knitting terminology, otherwise I would probably be able to answer it myself.

If the machine can purl, can you please tell me what the sequence of K-code instructions is to do “k1 p1 k1 p1”?

Thanks in advance,
    Ana

#3309 Score: 2
    mark
    mark
    Participant
    44 pts

Ana,

Not an official answer, just a backer and machine knitter. Yes the machine can knit purl stitches, it has two set of needles, one does knit and one does purl, and the machine can transfer stitches from one bed to the other (and not just directly across, the beds can shift before transferring from one bed to the other.

There is a Kniterte channel on YouTube. This video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiBEAvNMMU ) shows knitting on both bed, transfers from one bed to the other and decreases.

there are many examples of knit products on their website and instagram feed showing combinations of knit/purl (anything with ribbing) and transfers (like cables).

View this post on Instagram

Who else likes plated cables?

A post shared by Kniterate (@kniterate) on

I’ll leave it to someone official to correct me on the K-code. You most likely are not going to have to know the details of K-code, the design software will hide those sort of details. For instance you enter an image and the design program figures out the K-code to knit which color yarns on which needles. If you want 1-1 ribbing, you’ll likely select 1-1 ribbing from a menu. Some folks have queried around the K-code because they want to write their own programs to potentially do more than the provided design software will allow.

Mark

Triambak SaxenaAnne Kellnberger
    #3312 Score: 1
    mark
    mark
    Participant
    44 pts

not sure what happened, my speculative attempt at k-code disappeared. This is pure speculation, no actual experience on the machine, likely wrong but hopefully gives you an idea of what a direct answer to you question would look like and make you thankful, you won’t need to do this sort of thing unless you really really want to. You’ll hopefully just choose 1-1 ribbing from a template.

YAR1
            KRR:10101010101010101010
            KFR:01010101010101010101
            KRL:10101010101010101010
            KFL:01010101010101010101
            KNIT
            KRR:01010101010101010101
            KFR:01010101010101010101
            KRL:00000000000000000000
            KFL:00000000000000000000
            TRNF

assuming carriage starts on left
    the first batch of KRR, KFR, KRL, KFL specificities knit odd number needles on back bed, purl even number needles on front bed.
    The KNIT saws ‘knit’ left to right, then right to left
    the second batch of KRR, KRF, KRL, KRL specifies transfer even needles to back bed moving right-to-left, don’t transfer anything left-to-right.
    the TRNF moves the carriage right to left, transferring the specified needles, than moves the carriage left-to-right to return it to home.
    this would knit two row of 1-1 ribbing. knit 1 purl 1

Anne Kellnberger
    #3313 Score: 1
    mark
    mark
    Participant
    44 pts

Cunningham’s Law states “the best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it’s to post the wrong answer.” 🙂

Triambak Saxena
    #3319 Score: 2
    Anne Kellnberger
    Anne Kellnberger
    Participant
    12 pts

Hi @megfault, hi @mark,

Yes, the machine can do knit and purl stitches (and many more). The two needle beds create both knit and purl stitches, depending on how you look at your knitted piece. To see the pattern coming out of the machine with its right side towards you, you would use the back bed to create the purl stitches, i.e. the plated cable @mark posted from our Instagram. Those purl stitches are actually knit stitches on the backside of the pattern. The reverse side of each knit stitch is a purl stitch.
    Another example would be a knitted tube (you knit consecutively on both beds, like knitting in the round), the stitches inside the tube are purl stitches and outside are knit stitches. So the needle beds always create the purl stitches facing each other.

I hope that made sense. 😀 Let me know if it doesn’t.

Regarding the kcode, @mark described it right. Thanks. 🙂
    1 equals ‘knit’ and when you knit on the back bed, you create automatically a purl stitch when you look at it (so the backside is the knit stitch view). 0 equals ‘miss’, so no needle gets selected.

The kcode won’t be needed anymore when the software is fully developed. It will generate the patterns you design into kcode by itself. So don’t worry if it doesn’t make sense to you. The software will be easily usable for everyone, including pre-designed bits like ribs, cables etc. to draw on. When you get more advanced with the software and the machine, you can use the software to program your own stitches, like a blank canvas.

I hope that is helpful.

Thanks
    Anne

markTriambak Saxena
    #3388 Score: 1

megfault
    Participant
    1 pt

Thank you all for the replies, I am relieved it can purl.

I am a software developer myself, and would like to generate K-code programmatically, so the instructions sample was helpful. I found a really interesting research paper describing how to transform 3D models into knitting stitches, so it would be nice to translate them into K-code and see what weird shapes I can make.

I can’t wait to get my machine!! 😍

Triambak Saxena
    #3389 Score: 1
    mark
    mark
    Participant
    44 pts

Assume you are talking of the Disney Research paper on 3d-knitting, including links for those not yet lucky enough to have seen it.

Disney Research Creates Compiler for Industrial 3D Knitting of Apparel & Structures

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/disneyresearch/wp-content/uploads/20160705213118/A-Compiler-for-3D-Machine-Knitting-Paper.pdf

Saw note about a week about about the big industrial knitting machine and the winners of a design competition. (Perhaps something Kniterate or its user’s can maybe organize our own version someday)
    https://www.knittingindustry.com/design/shimas-student-competition-selects-two-winners/

Hopefully Kniterate will help accelerate the availability of versions of industrial tools like Apex for the home/small business user
    http://www.shimaseiki.com/product/design/sdsone_apex/flat/

Well I can dream

Triambak Saxena
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.