Technical capabilities

Home Forums Main Forums Technical capabilities

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  plasmatopia 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Philippe
    Participant

Hello everybody !

I have to compare the Kniterate’s technical capabilities to (for example) a Silver Reed 830 knitting machine. Since I don’t know anything about knitting, maybe you can give me the list of stitches, techniques (like can make jacquard, jersey, ribs, … I don’t know and I don’t even know the terms of knitting) that Kniterate can do.
    Thanks for your help!

#2771 Score: 1

Lydia
    Participant
    21 pts

Hi Philippe

SK830/SK840
    Jersey – also possible on the Kniterate
    Stripes – also possible on the Kniterate ; will be automated on the Kniterate but manual on the SK830 (unless you buy an extra color changer YC6)
    Fair Isle (Norwegian, Jacquard) – also possible on the Kniterate; however on the Kniterate 6 colors automated in one row and on the SK830 only two colors (unless you buy an extra color changer YC6 but even then not possible 6 colors in a row)
    Tuck stitches – also possible on the Kniterate
    Tuck lace – not sure about the Kniterate
    Tuck two colors – I suppose also possible on the Kniterate
    Slip stitches – not sure about the Kniterate
    Slip stitches two colors – not sure about the Kniterate
    Single motif (intarsia) – will be jacquard on the Kniterate
    Weaving – not sure about the Kniterate
    Punch Lace – this is like fair isle; the main thread it “normal” and the second thread is like sewing thread very thin which keeps the stitches together. Must be possible on the Kniterate as well.
    Lace – need to have a special expensive carriage) – automated on the Kniterate, however I don’t know yet if the type of stitches are the same
    Rib – only possible when you have the FRP ribber attached to the SK830
    English Rib
    Cables – only hand manipulated on the SK830 and automated on the Kniterate

Furthermore the Kniterate can increase, decrease, cast on and bind off. This is not automated on the Silver Reed and needs to be done by hand. The process of knitting a beany (see the video somewhere on the site) on the Kniterate is not possible that way on a Silver Reed. You can do it on a Silver Reed, however you have to move all the stiches by hand to decrease that way.

I expect that the needle hook from the Kniterate is a bit larger than the Silver Reed needles because the Kniterate can knit 4 ply yarn. Can someone give details about the size in millimeter of hook/top the Kniterate needle?
    The SK830 has a hook of 2.8mm and the SK840 has a hook of 3.25mm. That makes a big difference.

Any additions or corrections on above are very welcome.

Triambak Saxena
    #2789 Score: 0

Lydia
    Participant
    21 pts

One point forgotten:
    the double sided jacquard knitting pattern like the Kniterate knits the scarfs is only possible on a Silver Reed with ribber attached and when you manually put the needles in shadow pattern after every row on the ribber.

#2813 Score: 0

Philippe
    Participant

Thank you very much for all this information.

Have kniterates ever been delivered to Belgium? If so, could you put me in contact with the owners so that I can see the machine and discover its capabilities?

Thank you,
    Philippe

#2814 Score: 0
    Triambak Saxena
    Triambak Saxena
    Keymaster
    30 pts

@philippe

Thanks for opening this thread. Also thanks to @lydia for your thorough answer. We haven’t shipped any units yet, but are due to send five units to Belgium over the next months.

We are unable to share private information of our customers, so you will have to ask in the public forum for anyone from Belgium. You will see similar threads for other countries or states.

All the best,
    Triambak Saxena

#3270 Score: 1

plasmatopia
    Participant
    12 pts

Here’s another technical question about the Kniterate. If the bed is 36″ wide and is also a *double* bed, would it be possible to set it up to knit a blanket that is 72″ wide, by using the two beds of needles for the left and right halves, respectively, of the blanket? It would then be knitted with a lengthwise fold on one side of the machine (and the other edge left open, i.e., the two sides not connected).

I’d like to have an image that spans the double-width blanket, so part 2 of my question (if the answer to part 1 is yes) is whether the software will be equipped for this?

Thanks!
    Amy

Triambak Saxena
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  plasmatopia.
    #3275 Score: 1
    Anne Kellnberger
    Anne Kellnberger
    Participant
    4 pts

Hi @plasmatopia,

Interesting question. It is possible but the use would be limited to single jersey and without any structure because the double bed is needed for transfers and racking. I would say possible patterns are coloured stripes and maybe fairisle. You might need to cast off the piece with a linker as the bind-off needs both beds as well.
    You will be able to create the design and shape by yourself in the software. I don’t think we will incorporate a template for a blanket like this (in the beginning).

I hope that is helpful. 🙂

Anne

Triambak Saxena
    #3283 Score: 1

plasmatopia
    Participant
    12 pts

Thanks, Anne, and yes, that is very helpful. I can’t wait to play with the machine when it arrives!

Triambak Saxena
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.